Monday, September 25, 2006

MTV's latest aquisition, Guitar Hero, we can't all be Rock Star's, but we can fake it



MTV announced recently that they are acquiring developer Harmonix Music Systems, makers of the hit game Guitar Hero, in a deal worth $175 million.





Guitar Hero is the first real hit for Harmonix. The game was published last year by RedOctane, a company that was itself recently gobbled up by Activision. Guitar Hero gives players – mostly men I think, the opportunity to be “rock stars”. The first time I was introduced to the game was when a male friend of mine invited me back to his apartment to play. "Ever heard of Guitar Hero" he said, to which I replied, "no", this was followed by, “you gotto come check it out”. I must admit, cheesy as it all was, I was curious after hearing him describe it. The game utilizes a guitar instead of a controller and players get to literally “rock out”. Game mechanics are similar to Dance Dance Revolution, you use the guitar to follow the combinations as they come at you fast and furious. Not only did my “rocker” try to impress me with his guitar skills, he also got up close and personal by showing me how to play as well. Ah, dating in 2006, thanks to Guitar Hero, the rock star in the “rest” of us can be released and each of us can have our very own "Rock Star".



Tip: Guys, if you are really trying to impress a girl, play with a friend that's not so good. What? You thought i was going to say don't try this huh ... (smile)

Now playing:


Rape Me, Nirvana

No comments: