Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Fear Factor

No one ever talks about the fear associated with starting a business - and I Find it hard to believe that "true entrepreneurs" aren't plagued by fear. Fear of failure. Fear of not being taken seriously by potential investors or boards of advisors. Fear of people not liking your idea (because regardless of what people say ideas become personal - they reflect you - and when people attack the idea, many feel as though they are being attacked personally). Fear of success (yea...overnight success is scary too). Just ask the guys at YouTube - who despite being wildly popular are having difficult curbing heavy hosting fees and are amidst swirling rumors regading their inability to find realistic buy-out options.

So what do you do? How do you "fight the fear and do it anyway"?

... trust your fortune cookies - "Success is in your future".

... and if not, then eat it and ask for another. The "Success is in your future" fortune cookie has got to be SOMEWHERE at PF Changs, Szechwan Palace, Panda Express, General's Tsao's Buffet, China Palace, China Garden...

Inspiration can come at any time, from anywhere, in any form. Whatever works. :)


Now Playing: Massive Attack "Future Proof"

2 comments:

Eric said...

All entrepreneurs have fear - for me it's the fear that drives me. It's the challenge of facing new things and pushing outside my comfort zone that gets me up in the morning. A 9-5 is horribly unsatisfying because it's stale. Rarely do you leave your normal routine and experience something new, and even more rare is when it's spontaneous.

I have to have fear, have to be challenged, and have to be uncomfortable or else I'm bored and only do just enough to get by.

Nadiyah said...

For me, the fear is at first a little daunting. What happens if it doesn't work? I lose $50K which at my age, is QUITE a bit of money (hell, it's just shy of my annual salary). I wasted some serious time. I have to stay in this job (not necessarily).

BUT you're right - I hate to sound cliched but "feel the fear and do it anyway" is a tough but necessary pill to swallow. If fear is going to stop me from doing this, I have no business trying in the first place. :)