Monday, August 28, 2006

BOBO #2: What's In a Name

Nadiyah Says:

Have you ever tried to think of a domain name for a company in the year 2006? I mean seriously.

Are these stupid "how to get rich in 30 days" infomercials, when you see people riding bikes down the street talking about how they made $22,000 in 60 days, teaching people to put some letters together, buy the domain and then try to sell it to someone for $3,000.

www.MyKal.com - $3,800. You're kidding, right?! I mean seriously. In the past 30 days there have 2 web hits - both by me (from two different IP addresses).

And when I emailed the dude at BuyDomains.com he had the nerve to tell me that his reasoning was because if you did a Google search on the word "mykal" you get some 17 million responses. Hello? Mykal is a popular Russian and German name.

But then - maybe thats it. I wasn't looking at the name because I know Russian or German - but does everything have some meaning to someone?! Could www.vimeo.com be the name sake to some 15th century Filipino King. Or what about www.meetro.com - could that one day be slang for Spaghetti and AppleSauce? How do we know that when pronounced in Italian, www.myspace.com (mee-spa-chee) doesn't mean cinnamon or something?

UGH!

Once again, proof that there is much to be learned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess you don't know about domain names then!

Nadiyah said...

Or maybe that's exactly the science - to find those name combinations that people might later find valuable. That's exactly the point.

OR maybe you're right...and that's why I'm scratching my head trying to think of one, rather than one of the happy folk who bought the infomercial tape and purchased 500 domains and is selling 'em to suckers like me who are less creative or forward-thinking.